- Sam the Eagle is an American eagle who feels his species and role as national symbol have placed certain responsibilities upon his shoulders. He has taken it upon himself to promote and protect wholesome American morals and values, and he works behind the scenes of The Muppet Show as self-appointed censor and advocate of cultural, educational acts such as Wayne and Wanda.
Sam is appalled by the nonsense that passes for entertainment on the series and does his best to keep things in check, even though his pleas for an end to madness are usually ignored. As noted in the first issue of The Muppet Show Fan Club newsletter, Sam's overpowering burden is to act as the "moral center" of The Muppet Show. He would, in fact, like to concern himself with the morals of the entire world, but "regrets that it takes all his time and energy just to keep up with The Muppet Show."
Casting history Edit
- Frank Oz - from The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence (1975) to Muppet RaceMania (2000)
- Eric Jacobson - The Muppets' Wizard of Oz (2005) to present
- Kevin Clash - Muppet Treasure island (1996) (puppetry only) It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002), Muppets Party Cruise (2003) (voice only)
- John Kennedy - It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002) (puppetry only)
- Drew Massey - Statler and Waldorf: From the Balcony Episodes 11, 15, 18 and 33 (2005-2006)